Thursday, August 27, 2009

Due to lack of inspiration and creativity - and feeling the excitement of only having to wait a month rather than a whole year for the next season of So You Think You Can Dance (Premiere: September 9) - just a few videos today: Some of my favorite dances from season five.



Also, because I never got around to blogging my feelings about the results of season five (about a month late, I know), congratulations to Jeanine! About half way through the season, I was betting on her, and she definitely deserved it.

This season was tough because I could never tell if they were all so equally good (the best dancers yet, according to the judges - not quite sure about that), it was hard to tell who were the best...or if they were all average, equally average. However, I think this was the first season where the show truly became a learning experience. The judges always talk about how that's what being on this show is - a chance for the dancers to learn and grow. This has always been true, but I got the feeling the judges really wanted to emphasize that this year by throwing a few average dancers in there (Example: Kupono) over some of the other better dancers up for Top 20.

Jeanine winning proved this. She was always great from the beginning, but I don't think she was always the best. The first half of the season, I thought Kayla (the judges favorite through most of the season) would win.



(As much as I love Jeanine and her and Jason's contemporary dance - first video - I think Kayla and Kupono's "addiction" dance - above - was my favorite of the season.)

But despite having high hopes for Kayla, I think Jeanine definitely grew the most through out the show. She was able to take on more and more genres (perfecting all of them) as the show went on...even though Kayla could do anything thrown at her as well.



While I'd like to go more into depth about the season, as I said, it's been over for awhile now so I've already talked the ears off all my friends who are SYTYCD fans, as well as mine.

But I will say, Broadway dancer Evan, should NOT have been in the top four. Jason (first and third video) deserved that spot, for sure. And if not him, Ade. While I think Evan has a great personality, and while I find him adorable as well as a good dancer, he never progressed through out the show...which is kind of a big deal. That's the only thing that really frustrated me this season. I think viewers kept voting for him because they felt bad for him because the judges' comments were usually negative. Hello! It's because he wasn't growing as a dancer like everyone else. (This is why I don't watch reality talent shows, in which America votes for the winner: at some point there's too much emphasis on popularity and not enough on talent; it should be an equal of emphasis. But, I still watch this one because I love dance; that is, watching dance.

Ok, one more. My favorite dance in SYTYCD history ( from season two).
This particular video is actually a season five performance. Old cast members came back during the 100th episodes to perform some of the shows best/award nominated dances again. The "Ramalama" dance, as they call it, was one of them. It was choreographed by Wade Robson, who danced in the routine himself this time around.



Can't wait to start commenting on the next season! Two weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment