Monday, August 31, 2009

How I spent my Sunday....


Yesterday my friend asked if I wanted to go out for lunch and, upon picking me up at 2:00 pm, suggested Mexican food and margaritas. That sounded great to me. I still had some school work to finish up, but I figured, eh, I'll be home by five...six at the latest.

Little did I know that lunch and a margarita (mojito for her) would turn into a sangria, or two, or three...

Let me back up here.
Lunch? Cantina Laredo. (201 W 3rd St.)
Food? Excellent. We shared a guacamole appetizer - made table side and probably the best guacamole I've ever had. Then I ordered a plain old frozen margarita and a cup (actually a bowl) of chicken tortilla soup. Now I've had a lot of chicken tortilla soup in my time - it's one of my favorite foods - but this tortilla soup was absolute perfection. The presentation was nice as well:
the waitress brought out a bowl with a layer of baked tortilla strips and avocado slices on top, then poured the soup and shredded chicken - a GOOD amount of chicken - over it. While it was missing out on some veggies, which I usually like in my tortilla soup (like at Azul Tequila and Escalante's - both of these have great soups also) it was still the best tortilla soup I've ever had. I definitely recommend it.
Margarita? Ok. Not the best, but not bad.

So the friend I was with is a waitress at Maria Maria downtown (415 Colorado St.). Since we were already down there (and since she informed me that it was Sangria Sunday at Maria Maria - half price Sangria: $3.75) we decided to go. Well, the sangrias were fabulous, and I'm not just saying that because they were half price. In fact, they were so good that we had more than we'd planned and spent about three hours there, convincing some friends to come join us.

So the next time you feel like drinking on a Sunday, go get yourself a sangria. (And try the food too! I ate there once before, and it was pretty tastey from what I remember. They also have good guacamole too - seafood guacamole with crab meat and shrimp...Mmmm!)

No comments:

Post a Comment