Saturday, January 30, 2010

Say hello to...

My new running shoes! Yes, I finally bought a new pair of tennis shoes...and "it's about time" would be an understatement.

I've been working out and running (on the treadmill) in the same pair of shoes for two or so years. Horrifying, I know. It gets worse. They used to be my sister's. When she was in middle school or early high school. (Ahem, around 10 years ago is when she got them.)

So I've known for awhile that I've needed a new pair of running shoes. But I ignored it. That is until I started experiencing pain in my right toes whenever I curled them. I was told it was just a pulled tendon, but the pain has lasted about two weeks now. Hence, the decision to buy new tennis shoes, because I'm pretty sure my old shoes are the culprit.

Yes, I've been wearing them regularly for the past two years (since I work out almost every day - weight training, that is). But I've been running on the treadmill regularly for the past month or so, which isn't normal for me. I typically only do so during the summer and winter breaks (when I'm not busy with school), and only a couple times a week. But because I've been so determined to keep up with the 3-Month Best Body Plan, I've stuck to the schedule religiously, forcing myself to get up extra early on cardio days to go run on the treadmill.

So I've been spending more time in those old shoes, on the treadmill (not just lifting weights, which doesn't require much foot action). Who knows if my "toe pain theory" is right. But we'll see how they feel after a few days in my new shoes.

(By the way, I got them at Target for $30. I've had a $25 gift card that I didn't know what to do with, and then it occurred to me today to use it on the shoes. So they're not the best, but it's a well-known brand - Champion - they feel very comfortable, and they look pretty nice too.)

No comments:

Post a Comment