Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Getting back into the spirit of SYTYCD...

As much of a "So You Think You Can Dance" fan I claim to be, I am ashamed to say that I have not been watching the auditions these past few weeks. However, the one night I happened to have enough free time to catch the show was the night the Top 20 dancers were revealed.

This is the episode where the best portion of the season starts. So I'm not terribly sad to have missed the auditions (though watching the auditions allows you to get to know some of the dancers who will end up as the finalists for the Top 20 episode.) Hopefully, now that we're actually getting into the actual show, I will be able to confidently call myself a fan again.

Though I haven't seen most of the Top 20 dancers show off their talent, I did get a small glimpse of each dancer through brief recaps of Vegas week. And from what I saw, the Top 20 looks pretty promising this season (much more so than last season's Top 20 looked at this point - I still don't understand how season five was considered to have the best dancers so far.)

Season six's Top 20 includes a few firsts as well. For the first time in SYTYCD history, the top 20 includes a krumper, three tap dancers, and a married couple (at least I can't recall this last one ever being in the Top 20.)

One thing I'm sad I missed (though I got to catch it through a recap tonight) is one of the solo performances during Vegas week. Before this dancer, Billy Bell, found out whether or not he made the Top 20, a clip of his solo was replayed, and after seeing it, I didn't need to hear the judges say he was in. I knew he was. You can always tell when a dancer is going to go far on this show when they bring a judge to tears, and that's exactly what Bell did in this solo. And that is what I will leave you with.


No comments:

Post a Comment