Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Quick Update: SYTYCD

I haven't watched last night's SYTYCD special yet, but I read on the show's website on Fox that Top 20 finalist Billy Bell, the guy who brought judge Adam Shankman to tears with his solo during Vegas week (see the video at my "Getting back into the spirit of SYTYCD" post), has left the show due to illness.

Bell will be replaced by hip-hop dancer Brandon Dumlao.

I was pretty disappointed to hear the Bell will not be able to continue. While that one solo of his was his only performance that I saw, I could tell that he would have gone far in this show (No, Shankman was not overreacting.)

The question now is: Will we see more of Bell next season? Executive producer/judge Nigel Lythgoe has a tendency to invite dancers who have to leave the competition early due to such events, such as injury, back for the next season - straight to the part of the competition where they left off. However, I don't think this situation has ever occurred once a dancer is in the Top 20. (Injuries/illnesses that keep dancers from getting a fair shot in making Top 20 usually happens during Vegas week, so Lythgoe will invite them to Vegas week during the next season, without auditioning...though some have re-auditioned anyway.)

It's doubtful that Lythgoe will put Bell straight into the Top 20 next season, but hopefully Bell will at least get to be in the final group of dancers the judges choose the Top 20 from.

(Note: It looks like I'll be able to watch last night's episode after all - found it on Youtube; hence, the "haven't watched it yet." I know what I'll be doing at work today...besides homework.)

No comments:

Post a Comment