Friday, September 4, 2009

"Music is about a feeling...

...not just the words you're struggling to decipher." - Britt Daniel, Spoon

There were a lot of aspects of the Freshman Studies Literature & Philosophy lecture I took four years ago that I took away with me. The music the professor played to open the class with, the quotes he gave us, a new love for Camus, and falling in love with Herman Hesse all over again.

But there was one lecture in particular that has always stuck with me. During that lecture, the professor played a scene from The Shawshank Redemption that completely moved me; that expressed my passion for music, without words.

I had never seen the movie before at the time, but all I could think about the rest of the day was that scene and the desire to see the whole movie. Luckily, my roommate at the time had it, so when I got back to my dorm later that day, I told her, "I have to watch this movie!"

I did. And since then, it's been one of my favorites.

As I mentioned in a previous blog, I am now a Freshman studies intern, which means attending one of the lecture classes as well as TA-ing for a freshman writing class. Of course, I chose Literature & Philosophy because I remembered so many great things about the class.

I knew the professor would be showing this scene again at some point during the semester, and I've been anxiously waiting for it.

Well, today was that day. And I was moved by it all over again.


No comments:

Post a Comment