Friday, September 18, 2009

One Tree Hill: And the verdict is...


Well, you had a good run, One Tree Hill, but it looks like this is the beginning of your end.

I could tell last season that the show was losing its spark. And after watching the seventh season's premiere....that spark is out. It's officially out. And without Lucas (Chad Michael Murray) and Peyton (Hilarie Burton), the show doesn't stand a chance.

(Note: I probably should have mentioned this in my previous blog (unless it was obvious) but, in case you didn't know, Peyton and Lucas are pivotal characters on the show. Lucas is the main character, and I've always seen Peyton as the second most important character. And the relationship between the two has always played an important role on the show - the "will they ever be together" characters.)

(Another note: I apologize if you've never watched the show and have no idea what I'm talking about, but I'm not going to explain too much because that would take hours and thousands of words.)

The show that once offered a beautifully written script (many of my favorite quotes are lines from OTH); memorable characters with substance, unique personalities, and a realness to them; a discovery for GOOD music (something the show has always put a lot of thought into and has always been known for - OTH introduced me to some of my favorite music); interesting, unpredictable, grabbing plot lines, has lost its depth.

The script in the premiere still had a bit of that "memorable lines" quality, but it felt like the writers were trying too hard, which ended up making lines that would usually sound unique, meaningful, heartfelt, and inspiring, cross over the thin line between breathtaking and naturally and subtly romantic (I don't just mean romantic lines, but they're included, because there are many of them through out the show's history) into just plain sappy.

For example, one of my favorite moments on OTH was when Lucas realized Peyton was the one, after years of almost being together but never quite making it. The Ravens (the high school basketball team Lucas, and his half-brother Nathan, played on) had just one the state championship. Confetti was falling from the ceiling. Lucas looked at Peyton from a distance, walked over to her...

Lucas: It's you.
Peyton: What?
Lucas: When all my dreams come true, the one I want next to me....it's you. It's you, Peyton.

Oh, ok, I'll just show you:



Just an example of the simple yet beautiful and tear-jerking (sometimes heart-wrenching) almost-could-happen-in-real-life moments on One Tree Hill. (And see what I mean about the show offering beautiful, put-alot-of-thought-into-it music?)

Tonight? Brooke said the following line to her boyfriend (after he decided not to go off and produce a movie for 10 months - see, the interesting plot lines just aren't there): "What if we ruin it? [...] The feeling I get when I see you after a month, and the way my heart aches when I smell your skin. I don't want it to go away." To which he responded, "It won't. We won't let it."

Ok, so it's not a terrible line, but it's trying too hard. And I think the boyfriend's response is what made the whole scene too sappy.

Basically, the script was just flat.

As were the characters. They just don't seem themselves anymore. Particularly Brooke (Sophia Bush), who used to have a lot of flare, self-confidence, and independence. Now she's just...boring. I really can't describe it anymore than that. It really feels like the actors forgot who their characters are...or just don't have the heart for them anymore.

The music was still decent. If I decide to keep watching the show, it will be for that. The one highlight of the episode was that I got to hear Bethany Joy Galeotti (who plays Haley James Scott) sing again.

But still, the music just isn't the same without walking into Peyton's red-walled, record-filled bedroom and whatever song she has playing. (Peyton was the one with a passion for music, leading her to creating her own record label - and leading me to some great artists.)

I realize it's only the first episode, but I just don't see it going anywhere (and I don't see the new characters, who are so dull and unimportant that I won't even mention them besides this, adding anything to the show.)

My opinion (not that I haven't already made that clear)? They should have left last season as the series finale, as planned, instead of signing on for another season - sans the two most important (and my particular favorite) characters of the show.


3 comments:

  1. I agreed with that after I watched the premier of the seventh season. But I think now that they've gotten more into the season, the characters have gotten a lot of their "spark" back. It's sad without Chad and Hilarie though... it's kind of like a whole new show, but I still watch it and it's pretty good. And I agree about the music... most of my favorite songs come from that show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are over analysing the show.
    It is just a tv show, it's there to entertain people, possibly reach out to them - teach them something - show them a new kind of world. One tree hill does that - in every way possible. It's a good show :) take it for what it is and you'll find that even season 7 is just as great as the first season :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started watching One tree hill at the beginning of season 5, I mean really watching. I'm from Canada so the only channel they really play it on anymore is MuchMusic, and when the 6th season ended, they went back to the first season. I was kinda upset at first but when I watched that first episode, it was just an unexplainable feeling. It was like there was something missing until now, and when I saw Lucas win that game, and Peyton's face when she looked at him, I knew that is why they had to be together. I'm glad they went back to the first season, so I didn't have to miss something so important.

    ReplyDelete